Saturday, November 10, 2018

Deicide – Overtures of Blasphemy: Album Review

Image result for Deicide – Overtures of Blasphemy


Huh... kinda thought I'd dig it more than I did.

Wow, you know, before I heard Deicide's newest singles for this LP I wasn't really aware of how long they've been MIA. After all they were releasing records pretty frequently, and then they suddenly dropped off the face of the earth before returning with this beast of a record. And while it sure is nice to hear some Deicide again, I'm not all that thrilled about Overtures of Blasphemy. I like it certainly, but for some reason I'm more lukewarm on it than I expected.

So Overtures of Blasphemy follows the formula laid down on the often underappreciated In The Minds of Evil, which was a tight, compact death metal album that focused less on overall br0tal sound and appearance in favor of thrashy riffs and moshy grooves, and was all the better for it. 12 tracks, about 40 minutes in length, and the trashy/moshy songwriting makes a return. Emphasis this time is a bit more on the groove/deathy side of things, which helps it stand out a bit from its predecessor. All the songs are at a tight 3 minutes, give or take, and things are generally fast and free flowing enough to not be boring.

Where the album starts to fail me is just how meat and potatoes some of the riffing can really be, which is unfortunate considering how impressive some of those lead singles are. Just about every song has this problem where a song containing 6 or 7 riffs, will have at least 2 of them being these filler riffs where it's kind of obvious that the band is just kind of meandering until they get to the next actually good riff. Lots of meat and potatoes climbing notes, and the marching grooves on here are just kind of generic. “Compliments of Christ” and “All That Is Evil” end up feeling like the same track being so reliant on these more crushing grooves that don't really leave the desired impact.

Now it's not like I have nothing nice to say about Overtures. The singles leading up to this album were great and in the context of the record, they sound even better. “Excommunicated” will probably end up being a regular in setlists, as well as providing a much needed speedy pace breaker to the more plotting tracks leading up to it, and the track in its own right has so much more punky hard hitting attitude I just don't hear from death metal bands nowadays.

Production wise I think the band sounds great. It's basically unchanged from In The Minds of Evil in terms of tuning and mixing and such, and I think it works. I think some might complain that the cleaner production may not have the bite this album needs, and to be fair that certainly may contribute to some of the tracks sounding more bland than normal. In my opinion, however, I think the more clean and open mixing contributes to the fullness of the more diverse riffs the band often goes for. If it was more sloppy and goopy like your Skinless or Aborted or what have you, I think the album would probably end up sounding more bland. And yes, obviously when the grooves do come together, they come together hard, see: “Anointed in Blood”.

So yeah that's all I really have to say about Overtures of Blasphemy. It just ended up being a lot more generic and predictable than I anticipated. I still had fun, I'd recommend it even, I just have a feeling that I'm going to forget about it soon and listen to In The Minds of Evil again.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will be Deleted.