Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Record Store/Fair Update (3/10/17-4/9/17)

Way back in early March, I visited my local record store, and forgot to do a "Record Store Update". I then recently visited my local record fair and now an article that should have been 1 page long is now almost 3. Enjoy.

From the Store
From “The SoundGarden” in Syracuse. It’s a favorite of mine.

Death - Symbolic
I’ve been looking at classic Death lately, and there seems to be a bit of discourse between the post-Human era of Death and the pre-Human era. I’ve never listened to Human, but Symbolic makes me want to. Death’s more progressive form of death metal, with chunky guitars and a hint of melody is easily a step forward for the band. Leprosy and Scream Bloody Gore will always have a special place in my heart for its raw energy and speed, but Symbolic is a symbol (heh) of a band stepping away from their previous work towards something unique and interesting. That to me is more important than preserving the anger and style of old school death metal.

Havok - Conformicide
I’ve already written a review on this, so I will say that Havok’s Conformicide is a true return to form for Havok, though it’s far from their most subtle album. Though, let’s be honest, thrash was never about subtlety.

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
What do you want? It’s a Judas Priest record. You know who Judas Priest is, you know this record is great. Hell Bent For Leather isn’t my favorite of classic Priest (that would probably go to Stained Class) but it is still worthy for anyone looking for some classic speed metal and needs to complete a collection.

Primus - They Can’t All Be Zingers!
Yeah it’s a Greatest Hits album, sue me. I’ve listened to Primus on and off and I’ve come to a conclusion: when Les Claypool is going all out and truly pushing the limits of his skill with the bass, Primus’s music is top notch (see: To Defy The Laws of Tradition, Jerry Was A Racecar Driver), but when Claypool instead tries to focus on being the alt rock version of Phish with long instrumentals that go nowhere, Primus falls apart. I appreciate Primus, but I don’t know if I actually enjoy Primus.

From The Record Fair
Yup, another Record Fair came and went here in Utica.

Phish - A Picture of Nectar
One of my first and favorite Phish records. This is Phish at their most fun. This record just flies by, going at it’s own overly-complicated-yet-catchy pace. Some lounge jazz influence here, a banjo tune there, it’s just a downright pleasant record.

NOFX - S&M Airlines
NOFX’s second album. I really enjoyed this album. I gave it a listen through Spotify when I was researching for the Classic Review of Liberal Animation, and I was hooked. It’s a hardcore punk album with the more organized sound of a band who is hitting their stride. The slight undertone of melody adds a nice catchy edge to the songs. I find this album to be much more interesting than the band’s next record White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean.

Yes - Talk
Oh boy this was rough. Basically, this was one of the first Yes albums to be recorded 100% digitally. To some, that’s a death sentence, but I am an advocate for digital recording. Talk is not going to help my case anytime soon. While the more pop side of Yes has never been a favorite of mine, this album tries to meet their more pop and prog flavors in the middle. The result is a pretty solid album- if it weren’t for the heavily sterilized sound. Every note sounds like it was processed through a dozen computers to get that pitch perfect sound. So perfect that the instruments don’t have any personality or tone. Talk is considered one of Yes’s worst albums, but I’m sure it would have been more well received had it not been for the ultra clean production.

Bad Religion - No Substance
Bad Religion have never been my favorite punk band. I’ve enjoyed the band’s sound but they commit the punk faux paw of repeating the same chords and same choruses more than any other band in the pop punk/punk rock scene. No Substance is no different. I wasn’t too impressed by it, but I fail to see why it’s considered to be one of Bad Religion’s worst records. 

Led Zeppelin - I 
Yeah I shouldn't have to explain why this is good. Sometimes I go to a fair looking for something, other times I'm just trying to complete my collection. Led Zeppelin is one of those times. Their first record will probably be my favorite (even over IV), it's too catchy and fun to not get sucked in every time I'm listening to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will be Deleted.