Sunday, January 1, 2017

Record Store Haul: 12/28/2016

So I visited a record store recently (specifically The Sound Garden in Syracuse, NY; give it a look if you're in the area) so why not go over what I picked up?

Yes - The Yes Album
I haven't heard all of Yes's discography yet, but it still amazes me how every time I pick up a record of theirs, I end up hearing a masterpiece. Like most of Yes's albums, "The Yes Album" is incredibly well crafted, featuring everything that already makes Yes amazing, namely some crazy intricate bass, long complicated song structures, and lots of melodious singing. Not much to really complain about honestly.

Revolting - Dreadful Pleasures
I have no idea who this band is, but this is the definition of "hidden gem". Revolting are a death/grindcore band, but unlike most death/grind bands, the music actually demonstrates a level of competence. The riffs here are a bit more organized, with more catchy melodies and grooves as opposed to constant blast beats and pig squeals. This reminds me of Frightmare's "Bring Back the Bloodshed". It's very catchy, but one-dimensional as the lyrics are mostly comprised of gore, goo and everything in between. Tons of fun, doesn't go on for too long, good pick up.

S.O.D. -  Bigger Than The Devil
This is shockingly hard to find physical copies of. Of all of S.O.D.'s work, this is my favorite. It's not as in-your-face offensive as "Speak English or Die" was, but the result is a less sloppy album with actual production quality and solid riff writing. "Speak English or Die" was basically a hardcore punk album with heavier distortion, but "Bigger Than The Devil" solidifies crossover thrash in a manner similar to Nuclear Assault. On top of that, Billy Milano's intense voice almost turns the album into a death metal affair, his voice so harsh and angry. It's a favorite of mine that I finally have a physical copy of.

Eerie - Eerie
Not bad actually. Eerie are classified on Metal Archives as "Blackened Progressive Heavy/Doom Metal/Rock"... so take that as you will. Not sure where "blackened" came from but "progressive doom" is pretty close. With only 5 songs but close to 40 minute run time, Eerie vaugely reminds me of a doom metal version of Yes. There are long, driving riffs with lots of distortion and light bass that really bring the atmosphere, but the song structures are so much longer and more complex then your average doom metal project. Reminds me of some of the crazier songs off Black Sabbath's Paranoid like "Rat Salad".

So that's about it. Honestly, I've been so intruiged with Eerie that it might end up getting a full review. Until then, I highly reccommend picking up any of these records wherever you can find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will be Deleted.